Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Meal

Plate Two.

Kale Post wash and torn.

Kale finished and cooked down.

Plate One.
So this is my first post, WOOHOO!! Today is New Years day, I wanted to make a traditional dinner of greens, black eyed peas, and mussels.  These foods symbolize different things in the New Years tradition. 
Greens are supposed to bring the eater wealth or money in the coming years.  Bivalves, such as mussels, clams, and oysters; are said to be aphrodisiacs and supposed to bring love for the year.  Black eyed peas are traditionally believed to bring the consumer good luck in Asian and Southern, US regions.

I started the black eyes peas first. I use fresh frozen black eyed peas, and pearl onions.  I simmered them with black pepper, salpork, a hint of garlic, and small amount of sugar.

Next, I washed the prewashed Kale again, you can never be to safe and free of grit.  I tore the leaves from the stalks, and prepared the water with:  seasoned salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, frozen chopped onions, crushed red pepper, and pepper sauce.  I brought he water to a boil until the aroma was noticeable and blanched the kale, and left it to simmer.

The sauce for the mussels is traditional. I used a can of crushed tomatoes with celery, green peppers, and onions.  I added more frozen chopped onions, Italian seasoning, crushed black pepper, paprika, fresh parsley, and garlic.  I reduced until the sauce was almost cooked down, and then deglazed with a Sangiovese.  I usually use a white wine for a lighter flavor and brighter sauce, but all I had was red today.  As the sauce cooked down, I boiled the frozen mussels.  Once the mussels were cooked through, I mixed the sauce and mussels in the boiling pot, and plated the dishes.

The cornbread came from a mix.  I am not big on baking. 

It is always better to prepare dishes with fresh ingredients.  They provide the highest level of health values, and the best flavor.  However as a seafood lover in a landlocked state, I have to balance between fresh, and frozen for price.  It is better to used frozen veggies, preferable ones that are fresh frozen and preservative free.

So this is my first post, I hope you like it.  So tomorrow is Sunday, and a day for a good lunch. I am either thinking a salmon plank, or pork chops.

0 comments:

Post a Comment